Ok my wife officially thinks I’m crazy. I recently purchased a whole bunch of different air mattresses. We’re talking slightly more than a thousand dollars worth. Before you start thinking I’m crazy too give me just a second to explain. I’m sure you have been researching air mattresses, and that’s probably what led you here. I have been too. I’m not very satisfied with the websites that we have available, or the validity of they’re review. I’m really not sure if they have ever slept on one of they’re “top picks” because I slept on it and I really didn’t like it. I literally bought an air mattress that was recommended on another reveiw site that they said was the best, and it was terrible. It ticked me off enough to spend $1000 on airbeds to show that other guy how to recommend an airbed. I tried a bunch of them. I am only going to write about the mattresses I like, and I’m going to tell you about my favorite first.
My “Top Pick” is the SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress
PACKAGING: The air mattress with built-in pump arrived well packaged in a large, sturdy, cardboard box with the company logo. As the air mattress itself is heavy I appreciated the durable cardboard support and inner cardboard lining which preventing me from slicing into the mattresses when opening the package. I have made that mistake in the past.
TOP UP: All air mattresses stretch over the initial few inflations. My first night with the product I feel as though the PVC stretched slightly, but not nearly as much as other brands I have used in the past – perhaps 5% at most. Nonetheless, the first night I needed a small top-off from the built-in pump for about 10 seconds to get back to my desired firmness.
MOTOR: This air mattress with the built-in pump is very user friendly compared to other models I have used over the years. The electric cord plugs into any standard wall unit and inflates quickly. I have timed the inflation at exactly 4 minutes. I tested this inflation over 4 separate cycles, and each one reached my firmness level in the same time. I have slept on other brands (Intex) that inflate in 3 minutes but that brand continuously leaks air over the course of the night. The Soundasleep motor is foolproof in its simplicity. A clockwise turn inflates the mattress and a counterclockwise turn deflates the mattress. They claim the motor is quieter than other brands. While this may be true, the motor still generates a moderate amount of noise when inflating, comparable, yet slightly quieter than a vacuum.
CONSTRUCTION: The manufacturer describes the mattress as standard queen sized, and after using my trusty measuring tape, I found this to be accurate.” The top of the mattress has an extra layer of material which has a micro fiber feel. Standard queen sized sheets fit on the mattress decently well, although after continued use I noticed them starting to fall off. The 40 coil air beam construction adds smooth and comfortable support. These are not real coils like a traditional mattress but the points in the mattress where the material is welded together. The air mattress remained very flat all night without any bulging or sinking in particular areas.
COMFORT: This mattress has now been slept on 4 times – twice alone until my traditional mattress was delivered, once with my wife, and once by a friend. The mattress exceeded my comfort expectations. The 19-inch height made it feel like I was sleeping on a traditional box spring bed, rather than an air mattress on the floor. The mattress top added softness and made it much more comfortable to sleep on throughout the night. While sleeping alone, the mattress dropped very marginally towards the middle but it was not severe at all like I have experienced with other brands. While sleeping with my wife on the mattress it remained really firm through the night. The mattress is made for both single sleepers and couples. The max weight is 500 pounds. My wife and I top out at 300 pounds and felt like it could have easily supported twice as much weight.
CUSTOMER SUPPORT: Soundasleep offers a full year guarantee. I have not had a chance to use the customer support but will update this review if/when I do attempt to contact the company.
PRICE: The air mattress sells for a little over one hundred dollars which is over $75 cheaper than much lower quality products in the big box stores. I saw a Queen sized air mattress in Bed Bath for $250 and couldn’t believe the price tag. I do not understand how Soundasleep is making money on such an excellent product at this price point, but their loss is our gain.
WHO COULD USE THIS: Anyone who is tired of going to Target, Sears, Bed Bath or Kmart and spending a lot of money on an inferior product. This air mattress is queen sized so it would likely not work for you if you are space constrained and have a small apartment. If you have the room for a queen, then this mattress is the best there is. It works well with singles as well as couples and probably even pets. It is clearly designed for indoor home use and not for camping. If you are looking for a camping mattress there are a number of other products better suited specifically for this activity.
BOTTOM LINE: This mattress is a no brainer for someone looking for a quality product. There might be slightly cheaper air mattresses out there but I have bought those in the past and always been disappointed. The Soundasleep Dream Series with ComfortCoil technology is a keeper. I highly recommend it! I reviewed this bed on Amazon as well to further support the company. I feel if we want companies to continue to have high quality standards then we need to support the ones that still think it’s important.
The next best: The Intex Comfort Plush Elevated Dura-Beam airbed
This airbed is a very good buy if you are looking for a good air bed for an affordable price. It has a number of features that will ensure that it offers very good comfort that you would expect from an air mattress. It has a built in pump and Fiber-Tech construction ensures a flat and firm surface and will provide you and your guests with a good night’s sleep. I was able to inflate quickly, and includes a bag to store it in.
I like the Intex Comfort Plush Elevated Dura-Beam airbed because it is very easy to set up and use and is very comfortable. Its built in pump will air up the bed in less than five minutes and a flocked top is surprisingly soft and comfortable to sleep on.
Features of the Intex Comfort Plush Elevated Dura-Beam 18″
- Dura Beam Fiber-Tech Construction– Nobody really knows what this means but it is made of thousands of polyester fibers that are supposed to be extremely strong. It is these fibers that provide the air mattress with awesome support, stability and durability. All I know is it is very comfortable and extremely comfortable ensuring you great value for money in a well-built mattress. Ther have been reviews from people complaining about the air leaking out of the bed, but this happens to most of them at first. All air beds have to be broken in. This is because the bed stretches in the beginning. It has to be broken in, and will hold air once the stitches settle into place.
- Flocking– This air mattress features plush flocking which makes it soft to the touch. The flocking as well as the indentation in the sides will hold your sheets stay in place. The flocked top is waterproof and made of quality tested 20.8 gauge material. I have found that air mattresses are very comfortable to sleep on like this but are even better with a foam top purchased separately.
- Horizontal Air Chamber– This air chamber runs all around the air mattress. This is designed to provide additional support and stability around the entire air mattress. You know that when more than one person sleeps on an air mattress the whole thing will move any time one of the people roll over during the night. I found that the way this mattress is made will prevent this from happening. This is a big deal to me. As a matter of fact I do not give a mattress a good review if I get woke up because I feel the other person moving around.
- Capacity– The air mattress features 15-gauge vinyl beams and 16 gauge bottoms and sides allowing for strength. It thus has a weight capacity of a maximum of 600 lbs. This is also a big deal. This bed is very heavy duty for this price.
Advantages of the Intex Comfort Plush Elevated Dura-Beam 18″
- Easy to Use– The Intex Comfort Plush Elevated Dura-Beam air mattress is easy to use. From one touch inflation that has the bed aired up in less than 5 minutes and three firmness selections that allow you to set it to your liking.
- Portable– With an included duffel bag and with easy deflation this air mattress is extremely portable. This allows you to carry your air bed anywhere you but take into account there must be a plug nearby to inflate the mattress.
- Comfortable– With top of the line design and high tech construction the Intex Comfort Plush Elevated Dura-Beam air mattress is extremely comfortable and easy to get into and out of because of its raised design. I read a review where someone put their 78 year old mother-in-law on this bed and she had zero complaints. That’s amazing.
- Affordable– The Intex Comfort Plush Elevated Dura-Beam offers great design and ultimate comfort at a great low price. This can be purchased by anyone on a low budget.
The Bottom Line
I found this air mattress is very comfortable for a low price. I would feel safe to say this bed is just as good as the expensive beds, and if you are on a budget and require good value for money this is definitely a good pick. It features a built in pump and inflates in a manner of minutes so you can start using it right away. I love this air mattress, but not quite as much as the SoundAsleep bed. It is a close 2nd.
I’m still trying all the mattress’s I bought. Check back as I write more reviews.
Artexor.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
The Internet is an amazing tool that provides us with an unlimited source of information whenever we need it. I love to wade through this information and fish out whats true and what works, and eliminate what’s false.